Friday 8 July 2022

Rebel Minis ScorpionMech Kickstarter

 I thought I'd drop in a quick post about the new Rebel Minis Digital Direct Kickstarter for their new ScorpionMech which ends around 20th/21st July (not sure which, depends on which time zone you're in?).  This has been designed by the talented Mr John Bear Ross, many 15mm sci fi gamers may well have some of his models already - he has designed a lot for Rebel Minis and also produced a lot of lovely vehicles for Critical Mass Games, some of which are now available from Ral Partha Europe. Although the main model is 28mm, the stretch goal for 15mm versions has already been reached, and those will be included in the basic pledge which is $30 or about £25.

Picture from Kickstarter.

A lot of the older models are available as add-ons to the Kickstarter.  I purchased the digital files for the Earth Force and Titan Marine VIPER suits a few weeks ago and although they aren't finished yet, I thought I'd share a few photographs I took so you can see the sort of detail and quality you get. These are available as some of the add-ons to the Kickstarter and they're absolutely fantastic.

My first combat VIPER is an all-missile version, either a tank-hunter armed with ATGMs, or a mobile artillery unit.

Missile VIPER.

Missile VIPER.


Missile VIPER.


Missile VIPER.

The second combat VIPER has a more general loadout.  I tried for a pose as if it's tracking a target on the move, with the missile pod, chin gun and right arm all swivelling.  Not sure if it really worked but it's a bit different from any other mecha poses that I have.


Anti-tank VIPER.

Anti-tank VIPER.

Jet pack detail.

I painted the standard cockpit VIPER as a civilian construction or loading mech.  This is actually painted with emulsion house paints!  The Wilkinson's tester pot "Bumblebee" yellow turns out to be better than any acrylic model paint that I've found.

Construction/loading VIPER.

Construction/loading VIPER.

Construction/loading VIPER.

Construction/loading VIPER.

Construction/loading VIPER.

Once I've got the VIPERs finished off, I'll take a few better photographs and go into more detail on their various features and how I painted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment