Thursday 19 January 2023

Combat droids

 These Robotic Soldiers are 3d printed from Dutchmogul on Thingiverse.  I printed them at 56% original size to reduce them from 28mm to 15mm scale.

I mirrored the pose to give me 2 different versions.  It's also available as the A-TACC combat robot (separate torso, legs & arms for poseability) and in storage mode as Folded Robotic Soldier, which lends itself to a few different scenarios where characters might need to activate or prevent activation of them.

I only printed a couple as a test to see how they would come out and they have a fairly quick paint job. I will print a few more and experiment with different orientation to see how I can reduce layer lines and improve the poses.  They could probably do with red eyes too!

These are ideal for 5 Parsecs from Home or Rogue Stars and when I print a few more, they will also be useful for Tomorrow's War and other larger scale games.  I see that there also some remixes by Forgemoon which include alternative weapons arms (40K heavy bolters, flamers and chainswords) to add even more variety.  I could probably substitute some different weapons for the arms, such as rescaled versions of John Bear Ross' meltas or gatings, or even a rotary autocannon.


I've tried to reduce the appearance of the print lines on these by re-painting some of the base colours after the shading wash.  Drybrushing highlights would enhance the ridged texture of the print lines, but blocking in the panels can help hide the lines to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment