Sunday 15 January 2023

AEC Command Vehicle

Ever since I first saw an AEC 6x6 Command Vehicle, I've loved the design.  I'm not aware of any models having been produced in the past, but 3D printing has changed all that.  As with so many of my models, this comes from M_Bergman on Thingiverse.  I hollowed the model leaving a 2mm thick shell and punched drainage holes to avoid using too much resin.  As always, you can see the print lines in these photographs but viewing the vehicle from a couple of feet away at gaming distances they disappear.

With mecha and troops for scale.

The vehicle came in low power and high power versions with different radio sets, this is the HP version with additional parts on the sides of the rear hull.

My vehicle has been painted to match my VIPER mecha forces and will serve as a command vehicle for them.  I've always thought that it has a slightly sci-fi appearance.

Can you see the paint chipping detail? Not really.

I added some waterslide transfers to match the mecha and my Lynx recon vehicles, including ID numbers (I-94 WWII British BR119 & yellow with black outline NY101), black/red "teeth" and an axe with lightning flashes (GW Space Orks).

"Red tooth" vehicle marking.

After the decals had dried & set, I gave the whole vehicle a black wash and then a drybrush of taupe around the lower part of the hull.  A few silver paint chips were added using a tiny scrap of sponge held in a pair of tweezers, masking around the edges of doors and panels with a scrap of paper where required.  They're not really visible in the photographs but are much easier to see in reality by the way the light reflects as the model moves.

Note the first aid kit on the rear.

This might appear in one of my AK-47 Republic armies too, an ideal ride for a warlord or a general with delusions of grandeur...

No comments:

Post a Comment