Sunday 9 October 2022

Crates

I've done a few quick print runs recently to produce lots of crates.  Some wooden crates will be equally at home in any setting from fantasy to sci-fi.  After a taupe craft paint base coat, I washed some with black ink and some with sepia ink to get different effects.  The hinges and hasps were painted in with GW chainmail.

The next 3 sets of crates come from REKKINSIMPLESTUFF who makes a wide range of scatter scenery.  These have a fairly simple but effective sci-fi styling and print well flat on the build-plate of my printer.  I printed them at 56% to convert to 15mm and set them all at 45 degrees on the build plate.  This seems to give a more even finish than printing them straight and with something small like crates, you can still fit the same number on a single build plate.

After a quick Wilko rattlecan grey primer undercoat, I edge highlighted them with a white drybrush, then tried out my new Army Painter Speedpaints on them.  The Blood Red works really well, especially with the pre-highlighting technique.

Cloudburst Blue hasn't worked quite so well but it's still OK for some background scenery. More importantly, it is indeed faster than painting the crates in my normal style!

Camo Cloak Green has been something of a disappointment, leaving pale, streaky patches but it's possible that I just need to apply it more thickly.  I have some more crates printed so I'll give it another try.

 My cargo bay will grow ever more crowded with all these, but is there ever such a thing as too much scatter scenery?

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Where do You find STL for those first crates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I can't locate the original file! I always try to credit the designer if I can but in this instance, I was unable to. If I can find it, I'll add a link.

    ReplyDelete