Wednesday 12 July 2023

Summer Scenery Project: Ruined City part 4

The bulk of my ruined city will be the smaller ruined buildings I've mentioned in my previous 3 posts.  I do have some larger city blocks from Terrains4Games.  These have appeared in one or two games already, in a partly-completed state (glued together, window sills added and sprayed grey).

I've been improving these since their earlier appearances, filling in around the connecting tab slots and adding rubble to some.  I've adopted a red-brown colour scheme to provide a bit more visual interest than the more typical grey.  The buildings have a panel-clad design, so perhaps it's COR-TEN steel or something similar.  I've used red oxide, burnt umber and burnt sienna dabbed on with sponges to vary the colour.

The buildings include internal floors.  This gives them great rigidity, though it might be difficult to get figures in and out of the bottom floors!

I have one tall building and a pair of identical shorter ones.  I'm debating whether to make "sockets" of rubble into which I can place them, allowing me to swap the different sizes around.

I experimented with adding some rubble in one of the smaller ruins.

The rubble has been base coated grey, black ink washed for shading, then some parts have been drybrushed with the red-brown colours of the walls.

I've tried a tiled floor in the more detailed building.  This is simply a piece of paper scored with lines to make a 5mm grid pattern and glued onto the floor of the building.  An ink wash soaks into the scored lines to enhance the appearance.  Rubble has been added around the edge to blend it into the floor.  The result is better than I had expected, so I'll definitely be using this technique again in some other buildings, perhaps with checked or different coloured tiles.  Adding the red-brown colours to the rubble definitely makes it look more 3-dimensional than just different shades of grey.

These buildings will be great as focal points during a game, whether on the edge of the city as sniper locations or in the centre as objective locations.  They are big enough to provide cover for large mecha or big alien creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment