Monday 10 July 2023

Summer Scenery Project: Ruined City part 2

The buildings I'm constructing will have added detail to reduce the slab-sided look you often get with MDF kits.  The first thing to do is match up all the parts for each set of ruins.  As mentioned previously, all have a slightly different set of corner connecting lugs, so you can be sure that you have the correct pieces.  I'm not building them all yet, just a few to practice some techniques and work out the best approach to the project.

Window sills and lintels are the first thing I'll be adding.  These are just trimmed out of thin card or thick paper.

I cut the paper strips for the lintels to start, easiest with a sturdy craft knife and a metal ruler.  With the buildings laid out, it's easy to trim the strips down to the correct size for each window.

I cut all the lintels to match the angled ends laser etched on the MDF.  I set them out as I go, to help keep track, then glue the whole lot in one go.

I used a slightly thicker cereal packet card for the window sills.  Tesco Corn Flakes proved ideal, but other brands are available...

I use a small brush to apply the PVA onto the building.  The bits of card stick almost immediately when pressed firmly into position.

Once completed, it's onto the next building.

Even this small detail can make a surprising difference to the appearance of the building.

You can see the difference in thickness between the lintels and sills.


Experience has shown that these details are definitely best added before you assemble the buildings!  Next time I'll go into some detail on the assembly of the buildings and also applying some extra texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment