Friday 7 July 2023

Action Force - SAS Panther

The SAS Panther jeep (presumably named after the famous SAS "pink panther") is a re-coloured version of the US GI Joe VAMP jeep.

This was one of Jabberwocky's models from Thingiverse, the GI Joe VAMP jeep rescaled to 18% original size. I wasn't sure how well it would print but I added a ridiculous number of supports and it came out great, even the roll cage had no problems.  The wheels and gun come separately from the main body of the vehicle.

SAS Force engage the Red Shadows...

The model is great, though missing some of the finer details of the original toy.

The Jerry cans and gun are particularly low-detailed, but you can still tell what they are.

These are simply Vallejo black for the body and Vallejo cold grey with a black ink wash for the seats, wheel arches etc.  Yellow parts were painted in white first, then my old GW sunburst yellow, with a sepia ink wash. Tyres were painted brown and drybrushed black before attaching to the model with gel superglue.

After printing, I wasn't sure if it was a bit small, but it doesn't look too bad next to a 15mm jeep or a Peter Pig figure.

Being a chunkier style than the jeep, I could maybe print them again at 20% original size instead of 18% but these are OK for the time being.

If I print some more, I will attach the wheels to the body before printing.  I might try and replace the gun barrels too, and if I can find a driver, that would be even more useful.

This is a great addition to may Action Force project, and may be used in a game of AK-47 Republic (Western Intervention Force).

2 comments:

  1. The XR311 reborn. If I do some post apoc Morrow Project I could use some of these, interested in printing and selling a few?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in the US? If so, postage would probably be 50-60 times the value of the models! Someone on one of the 15mm FaceBook groups nearer to you might be a better bet, but if you have difficulty tracking someone down, let me know.

      Delete