Friday 24 February 2023

Star Wars Mini-Rigs 1: Aerospace vehicles

 I have a few Star Wars Mini-Rigs which I will be converting into 15mm vehicles and starships.  These can be found for as little as £3-4 each if you get a job lot for spares and repair.  The batch I got back in 2020 (which included the Rebel Transport that I'm turning into a crashed starship) include 3 AST-5 Armoured Sentinel Transports.

These have 2 different modes, the first being a flying craft which will be a very fine shuttle for a small group of 15mm figures.

They have excellent panel detail which will paint up well.

The engines are just stickers but I can add in some extra features here before I paint them.

The second mode is an alternative landing pose.  The guns swivel to allow it to engage ground targets.

The cockpit is substantial enough to fit a  3.75" Star Wars action figure, so loads of space for a 15mm crew.

Some 3d printed starship bridge stations will fit into the front of the space and maybe some seats along the sides.

The detail under the rear wing section is even better than the detail on the top - it's a shame it's all hidden away underneath where you can't see it most of the time!

The Imperial Shuttle-inspired ISP-6 Imperial Shuttle Pod is the second type of airborne mini-rig I have.  Mine are all missing their canopies, so will need a fair bit of extra work to prepare them for 15mm use.  The wing guns are also missing, but it will be easy to trim off the mounting points.

The wings fold up and down thanks to a little switch underneath.  I'll try to preserve this function in the rebuilt model.

The cockpit on this one isn't quite so easy to fit anything inside, so I'll need to have a think about whether to try and fit anything in it.

Next time I'll look at some of the ground vehicles I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment