Wednesday 22 February 2023

Zurg Fighter

The Hyperspeed ships from theLightyear film have appeared across a number of FaceBook groups recently for use with 15mm and 28mm figures for games like 5 Parsecs From Home.

Because the film did so badly at the box office, these have been gradually falling in price.  This one is on sale in Argos for only £5 - so I got two!

They come with neat flip-down tripod landing gear and very detailed engines which should look great shaded and drybrushed.

I was surprised how large this ship is, about 10" or 26cm long, twice the size I expected.  It's a beast of a ship.  Instead of the small shuttle I was thinking, this would do as a light freighter, or an assault lander carrying 15-20 troops.  These are Alternative Armies Beotan Werewolves for scale, which stand head and shoulders above standard 15mm figures.

There is space in the cockpit for a pilot.  I recently purchased the starship bridge terminals set from the talented Evan Carothers which includes a couple of good pilot seats which should fit.

 I could add a few weapons if I want to go for the military lander option.  There is space for a dorsal mount cannon.

There are also some excellent potential hardpoints on the underside of the hull.

These are weapons from the VIPER mecha I recently purchased and fit in very neatly.

As a bonus, Mattel have thoughtfully placed metal fixings in these locations.

A quick test shows that these are ferrous, so I will be able to magnetise a range of alternative weapon options which can be tailored for mission-specific purposes.  I'll have to try and find some missile pods and bomb racks too.


 I don't think this will need much work before I paint it, so I'll just need to decide on a suitable colour scheme.  I can't decide whether to go for camouflage (possibly grey/grey above and pale grey/blue underneath) or just a functional grey with some sort of coloured stripes.

The Zurg Mothership weighs in at a hefty 20" long and is very tempting, though the cheapest I've seen it so far is about £20.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of these. They have a pleasing size and form factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! I see that Amazon have reduced theirs to £5 too now.

      Delete
  2. All of the hyperspeed toy range is fantastic for conversion to tabletop. Even at 28mm this is an awesome heavy fighter. The trucks, dropship, and light fighters are all great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have my eye on the double pack of fighters...

      Delete
  3. Many ships in this range look straight out of an SNES space shooter, and that's an aesthetic I didn't know I needed until now. I'm going to have to pick some of these up for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a very different look to most of my other ships. I wasn't sure whether to get them but I'm glad I did!

      Delete
    2. Did you see armadillo spaceship?

      Delete
    3. Yes, cheapest I've seen is £8 for the small one. The larger Armadillo is about £14 and might be good for a Mecha scale dropship.

      Delete