Friday 25 March 2022

Epic Rhinos and variants

Several years ago in 2015, before a home 3D printer was really an option for a skinflint like me, I ordered a few Epic 40K bits from Shapeways.  These included a range of add-on parts for the basic plastic models, some of which were lascannon and heavy bolter turrets for converting Rhinos into Razorbacks.  These simply glue onto the top hatch once you've trimmed off the hatch handles, fitting neatly between the hatch hinges.

Lascannon Razorback, standard Rhino, Heavy Bolter Razorback

I also had a selection of Predator bits including las-cannon and heavy bolter sponsons, autocannon and twin las-cannon turrets.

Predator Annihilator
The turrets have a hole designed to allow magnetic attachment, but I've just glued mine on. The sponsons are shaped to glue precisely onto the Rhino side hatches.

Predator Annihilator

These will supplement my old metal Predators nicely.  The originals were one of my first Epic purchases, £2.99 for 3 back in 1989.

Predator Destructors

Using a comunication antenna from a set of Ground Zero Games 15mm tank accessories, I converted one of my old plastic models into a Deimos Command Rhino.

Deimos Command Rhino

Whirlwind turrets enhance my artillery support.  I have quite a few metal Whirlwinds already, but as far as I'm aware, no-one ever complained of having too much artillery available.

Whirlwind.
 These turrets also came with alternative Rhino top hatches which is a nice touch, though it's a bit fiddly shaving the existing hatches off.

Whirlwind (notice whitish bloom on top of turret).

Whirlwind Hunter turrets provide some previously lacking air defence for my Space Marines.  Replacement hatches are included again for the additional sensors.

Whirlwind Hunter.

The 3D printed parts do have a few problems, in the seven years since I bought them they seem to have developed a slightly greasy feel and you can see the paint is affected in a few places.  This is particularly evident on the top of the Whirlwind turrets where some sort of whitish bloom has appeared, especially in the recessed panel lines.  I assume they were probably printed in a resin, perhaps there is an issue with less cured resin leaching out through the surface over time.  I still have a few bits left to use and I might pop them in my curing station to water cure for a minute or two before I use them.

2 comments:

  1. 'no-one ever complained of having too much artillery available'...

    Only the target!

    ReplyDelete