Monday 7 February 2022

WeaselTech - Hero & Swarm Mecha

Rampage Squadron's heroes will be piloting some of my old BattleMechs, excavated from the darkest recesses of the loft.  The Commando will be a rocket armed X-1 mecha, with an RPG-5 and an MRL-4.  The Commando will also carry a comms package.

Commando

Two Stingers will be beam and machine gun armed X-1 mecha.  Each will be equipped with an MG-5 and either a PL-a beam or a PL-b beam.  Stingers will carry Scanning pods.

 

Stingers


Stingers

Two Wasps will be X-1 mecha armed with a beam the same as the Stingers, plus an RPG-5 or an MRL-4.  Wasps will also be equipped with ECM suites.

Wasps

The BattleMechs are suitably large and intimidating compared to the weaker enemy swarms that they will be facing.


Size comparison

I have also printed a few small vehicles to use as either additional scatter scenery (with no actual game effects) or potential objective markers.


Swarm attack!

So far I have 15 enemy mecha painted.  All have a basic grey colour scheme with accent colours designating different types.  The base colour is a medium grey, a black ink wash for shading, a repeat of the medium grey drybrush and a final light grey drybrush.  Panel and accent detail was added as a base colour.  Rather than drybrushing (which would show up the print lines), I hand painted the highlights, adding small amounts of white each time.  Green accents are swarms, red and blue are elite units. As I print additional types, more colours will be added to the elite units.


Enemy swarms and elites.

Elite units include a Lupus OmniMech printed at 55% original size.

Lupus OmniMech

The Lupus will be a rocket armed elite unit.

Lupus rear view

Another elite is the Thanatos, also printed at 55% original size.


Thanatos

The Thanatos will be a beam or machine gun armed elite.


Thanatos

The print lines are more obvious on the grey areas wher I drybrushed rather than hand painting the highlights, but viewing at a tabletop distance they tend to disappear


Thanatos

My rocket swarm Mecha is the Yeoman, renowned for being little more than a pair of massive box launchers on legs.

Yeoman

One rocket mecha on its own isn't really a "swarm", but I have more on the way, and it has a few friends below...

Yeoman

Archers have been printed at only 45% of their original size.

Archers
 The Archers will be machine gun armed mecha.

Archers

My Jenner IIC 'Mechs are additional rocket mecha to accompany the Yeoman.

Jenners
 

Being smaller light 'mechs, they've been printed at 60% original size to keep them in line with the others.  I preferred the more dynamic pose of the Clan IIC over the original Inner Sphere design.

Jenners

The bull of my beam or machine gun swarm mecha will comprise these Wespengift mecha. 

Wespengift
 

These are not actual BattleTech models, but their non-humanoid appearance means they look like the ideal foot soldier swarm mecha for our heroes to gun down in droves. Hopefully.

Wespengift

The Wespengifts will be beam or machine gun armed as the situation requires, they should be fine in either role - as long as I remember which I've chosen!

Wespengift swarm.

I have another 25 miniature mecha to paint plus some normal sized Locusts that can act as recon mecha for heroes. I also need to check through my various saved files to see if I have any suitable enemy defences I can print out.

At some point, I hope I might actually get to play my first game too - children and work permitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment