Saturday 7 May 2011

Can't see the wood for the trees...

With the arrival of Flames of War at the Old Buckenham Bone Crushers, there is a lot more 15mm gaming going on in our area. Most of the club's forest is aimed at 25/28mm scale, so I've been working on something more suited for our smaller scale games.



Much of the scenery has been produced by Paul, the club's founder. He bases the scenic bits on circular bases, some of which have a semi-circular bite taken out of the side to enable them to fit together neatly. At the last club meeting, Paul gave me 10 bases he'd prepared using his normal template.



I want the woods to be fairly dense, but not so much so that you can't fit a FoW base into them. As I don't actually play FoW, there is a bit of guess-work involved! I'll need to measure a few bases next time and make some card templates to check against.



After sanding the edges smooth, they've received a coat of Dulux green paint as a base layer. The trees are Woodland Scenics plastic armatures with "clump foliage" stuck on with PVA.



I've tried to work out which trees I want on this base as a test piece.




A coating of dried tea-leaves provides the leaf-litter on the floor of the woods. The base bits round the edges will have grass to match the game boards. I've scratched the paint away to give a good key when I glue the trees in.


More to follow...

2 comments:

  1. Is Paul a wizard with a saw or are these bases available commercially?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul is a wizard with a saw! They're made from some sort of plastic sign board stuff, nice and rigid, non-absorbent so won't warp, but still soft enough to cut without too much trouble. I'll try and find out what it was called and where he gets it from.

    ReplyDelete