Monday 22 July 2024

"Robot War" - Delaying action

 "I think I'll have all the robots this time."

"OK, so I'll have all the Mega Force?"

"No, I have all of them too."

"But I need something..."

"You can have the baddie Mega Force, then."

Thus, our next game began.  Given that I had such a small force, we agreed that Number 2 son's objective would be to get half of his robots off my end of the table.  My delaying force would try to hold them and eliminate more than half.  Perhaps we should leave a few things off the table, the game might get a bit bogged down? No, I was told that they all needed to be used.

His V-Roc forces were bunched together on one corner of the board.


The robots were lined up along the entire end of the table.

My somewhat more modest Triax force was scattered across the other end.


VTOLs were ready to launch from an elevated observatino position.


We added a couple of larger Mega Force vehicles to bolster my forces.  These Tar Traks have 4 damage points (the same as the robots) and fire 3D8 when attacking.  They could transport 2 vehicles each if required, but I kept mine empty.


An overhead view of the board.  The robots would need at least 6 turns to cover the distance at maximum speed.  If they delayed by firing instead of double-moving each turn, it would be longer, but I couldn't see my small units lasting that long.


The mecha moved forwards between the rocky outcrops.


It wasn't worth firing yet... too far away for anything to hit.


Number 2 son's fighter-bombers tried to soften up my forces.  They destroyed the first Tar Traks.


A second strike on the other Tar Traks damaged it.


My suqdrons remained ready off-board, waiting for an opportune moment to strike...


A combination of my AA tanks and the VTOLs managed to knock out all attacking fighter-bombers.


... and with that, he decided that he just wanted to play with the Mega Force on his own, so we ended the game.  I had suggested that perhaps it was an overly ambitious idea to use so much, but some 5-year olds aren't wiling to take advice when offered!  It was a chance to find what was in some of my other scenery boxes anyway, so I didn't mind too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment