Friday 15 September 2023

Repainting farm set figures for the kids

 We got a bag of farm animals for the kids a year or so ago, I think it was probably in one of the local charity shops for a few pence.  Amongst the various mis-matched sizes of animals, it contained a set of farm people - you know the sort, standard poses of "woman scattering chicken feed or maybe seeds", "woman carrying bucket", "farmer standing holding gun and walking stick".  I have a very nice set of similarly posed Britains figures at my Mum's house, moulded to a far higher standard, with far superior painting.  These ones were rubbish.  So I decided to improve them.

Original colours - front view.

Original colours - rear view.

I asked number 2 son for his opinion on suitable colours.  Snapping a picture on my phone and shading over it in the indicated colour seemed the best idea, and gave a reasonable result to work from.

The somewhat garish colour scheme chosen...

I washed the figures in warm soapy water, dried thoroughly, then slapped a quick coat of Vallejo white primer over them.  Colours are mainly a mixture of Army Painter speedpaints, GW contrast and Vallejo Xpress paints.  It was nice to have a chance to try them all out, especially the new Xpress paints.

Completed figures - front.

Completed figures - rear.

I'm reasonably pleased how these came out.  For easier comparison, here are my painted figures next to examples of the daubed mutants from which they originated.  Actually, the originals weren't too bad I suppose, the painting was fairly neat apart from the eyes.  The farmer has a ridiculously huge cigar in his mouth, quite unlike the more dignified and refined pipes my Britains farmers used to smoke.  I added some extra washes and colours to pick out details like the pockets and buttons on his waistcoat.

Farmer

The woman spreading grain or chicken food has quiete a lot of extra detail visible when better painted.

Seed/feed scattering woman.

The woman with a bucket appears to have a rather nice moustache.  Bit of a slip up with the flesh wash there, I think!  Although the hair colour is wrong, it reminds me of Freddie Mercury in the video of "I Want to Break Free".

Moustachioed bucket carrying woman.

Not bad for an evening's painting, and a bit of a change from the usual 15mm or 6mm military stuff.  Time will tell how well the painting survives being played with.  Now he wants me to repaint the other 3 figures too.  I'll have to find out what colour scheme he'd like on those...

No comments:

Post a Comment