Saturday 9 September 2023

Buses and a shuttle - car boot sale finds

I always enjoy browsing a car boot sale, partly to see if there are any good books or toys for the kids, but also to see if there is anything I might be able to convert for wargaming.  The following were all bought for 50p or £1 each, which is a bit more than I usually like to pay, but was worth it on this occasion.

This Siku bus will be ideal for 15mm games, either as scenery, an objective marker, or as a potential liability unit for my Action Force army in AK-47 Republic.


I also found a Majorette "Neoplan" bus.  This is marked 1/87 underneath, but looks closer to 1:100 to me.  Again, this will be useful for all sorts of 15mm gaming situations from the 1980's onwards.

Thunderbird 4 from the poorly received 2004 film was a good find.  I already have a couple of these which are being converted into shuttles, so a third will be handy.

The underside and rear incorporates a pull-back motor, but this is easily removed by unscrewing the bottom hull. I'll scratch build or 3D print a hatch cover for the rear of the hull.  Plasticard easily covers the screw holes underneath.  I'm also thinking about sawing a hole in the back so I can have one with the rear hatch/ramp open and seating visible in the passenger compartment.

I have some 3D stl files saved for various types of sci-fi undercarriage (X-Wing etc), I'll be printing a few at various different scales to find a set that work with this model.  I've got a variety of spaceship and helicopter seat files too, some of which should work for the interior.

Possibly another car boot sale tomorrow - I'll make sure I keep my eyes peeled and have a pocket full of loose change!

No comments:

Post a Comment