Thursday, 20 April 2017

Action Force - Red Shadow machine gun team

Being outnumbered by the combined Z Force and SAS Force troops I've completed, the Red Shadows need some reinforcements.

A Peter Pig MG34 team needed only a little work to turn it into a Red Shadow machine gun team, ready to suppress those pesky Action Force troops!

Friday, 14 April 2017

Action Force - Z Force weapons teams

I've added a few support weapons to my Z Force unit, Peter Pig modern US again.  They're mounted on 2p pieces for use as weapon teams in Force on Force.

The Browning .50 cal teams come with some extra crew but they've been incorporated into the infantry.  3 crew per base would make it rather crowded anyway.

I also have some M240/FN MAG gun teams, though I haven't taken a particularly good photograph of this one!

Sunday, 9 April 2017

Action Force - Z Force LAWs

Although none of the original Z Force action figures were armed with anti-tank weapons, for gaming purposes I'll need some.  These Peter Pig AT-4 troopers fill the role well.

The chap on the left seems to have a Minimi/M249 as well as his AT-4.  They'll add some good firepower.

Monday, 3 April 2017

Action Force - Z Force sappers

Codename "Tracker", Raoul Santilliana the Z Force Sapper was a repaint of the British Commando action figure.  He came armed with an M60 but I preferred the Peter Pig modern US M249/Minimi (which replaced the M60 in US service in 1995) and M240/MAG gunners to the Vietnam-era M60 gunners.

 The only alterations to these are head swaps for British Commando stocking caps.

Obviously only one of these is Tracker, but I'm sure Z Force had more than one support weapon!

Thursday, 30 March 2017

Action Force - Z Force Captain

 Commanding Z Force is Grant Campbell, "Skip".

Skip is a Peter Pig modern US M203 grenadier.  His head has been swapped for a WWII para beret head, though for some reason it seems to have a Bruce Forsythe chin.

I prefer the M203 gunners to the actual squad leader/command figures Peter Pig make, I think they'll fit better with the small-scale actions I'll be fighting.

Monday, 27 March 2017

Action Force - Z Force radio operator and medic

Sven Inglesen, code-name "Doc" is an unmodified modern US medic. He has a white medical kit and white webbing, helmet and vest to match the action figure.  The figure had a large red "flare launcher" but I haven't tried to give him one of these, though I might experiment with another medic later.

Radio operator Gianni Paulo Brazzi, code-name "Breaker", has been converted from a Peter Pig WWII 14th army sten gun figure.  He has a head swap with a peaked cap that came from a GZG figure which was the itself the leftover of an earlier head swap.  This gives him the headgear and weapon of his action figure counterpart.  A guiter string aerial turns his backpack into a passable radio pack.

Friday, 24 March 2017

Action Force - Z Force

Z Force launched the main assault on Ascendancy Island, taking advantage of SAS Force's diversionary attack to secure a beachhead and advance inland.  Once the bomb was located and dealt with, it appeared that the threat from Baron Ironblood was over.

It took a while to decide on which figures to use for my Z Force infantry.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've tried to go with the spirit of the figures rather than slavishly copying every detail.  The original Z Force infantryman figure came with an MP5 SMG, but those shown in the comics usually seem to have the FN FAL/L1A1 SLR.  An assault rifle is more practical for general combat troops than an SMG and Peter Pig professionals were one possibility - lots of great details with webbing and backpacks to match the action figure plus an SLR as the main weapon to match the comics.  The only problem here was the head, the bush hat doesn't match any of the action figures.

Rather than try to hand-sculpt the heads for 40+ 15mm figures, I went for the easier option of using Peter Pig modern US troops instead.  Heads and weapons aren't exactly right but they'll do for now!  Helmets aren't unprecedented anyway, Z force minesweeper "Scout" and medic "Doc" both had helmets, as did tank commander "Steeler".  A few head swaps will create a more varied force, red berets and black commando stocking hats being present on some of the action figures.  Many of the infantry pictured in the comics wore the commando style stocking hats too, especially on Vanyo's excellently illustrated strips "Desert Strike" and "Jungle Terror".  I will buy some more Peter Pig professionals and swap their heads for the spare US helmet heads and some more of the stocking cap heads to give me SLR-armed Z Force troops.  For now, the modern US have a great range of dynamic poses.

Base colour is Vallejo medium olive green with matt black webbing and tiger-stripe camouflage.  A 50/50 Pledge/sepia wash provides subtle shading, though my second batch seems to have come out rather darker thean the first ones.  Helmets don't have the camo striping, the hooded infantryman and minesweeper action figures just had plain headgear.  Red googles are something I particularly remeber from the action figure so that was a big reason for going for these specific figures.  Webbing, weapons, boots and gloves are black with a dark grey drybrush.  The final touch is a very carefully painted military stencil type red "Z" on the shoulder.  Trying to paint this 4 times on each figure (first in white on each shoulder, then overpainting both in red) was a real pain!