Thursday 7 September 2023

Action Force - Z Force Whirlwind

Continuing my 15mm Action Force project, the Z Force Whirlwind was a re-coloured version of the US GI Joe Whirlwind. 

 Armed with twin 20mm armour piercing rotary cannon, it can be towed by a jeep to provide anti-personnel and limited anti-tank capability.

 The guns elevate, so can even be used against ground attack aircraft or helicopters.

Jabberwock produced a very fine original toy scale (1:18) version of the Whirlwind on Thingiverse.  This has nice chunky details that work well when printed at 18% for 15mm.

Basic model undercoated.

I undercoated in Wilko grey primer.  Now that Wilkinsons has gone into administration, I may never be able to replenish my supply of this great paint, so I'll be on the lookout for an alternative.

Whirlwinds in action.

The base colour is Vallejo olive green, with black details.  I drybrushed the black parts with dark grey and carefully painted in the Z logos in white, then red.

Side detail.

I used a couple of 2x2mm Neodymium magnets in each Whirlwind to allow them to rotate.

Neodymium magnets.

 These Whirlwinds will be used for my Z-Force army in AK-47 Republic.  Treating them as towed anti-aircraft guns would probably be a reasonable reflection of their armament and capabilities.  Now I just need to find a couple of suitable crewmen for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment