I bought a tube of brown acrylic frame sealant/decorators' caulk in our local garden centre (one of the Cherry Lane / QD chain if you're in the East of England). About £1.25 for a standard sized cartridge for use in a sealant gun, the brand is "151". I've found that 151 stuff is pretty good for wargaming and modelmaking use. They do epoxy putty, superglue, self-adhesive magnetic tape, all pretty good quality for very low prices and you often find them in budget shops.
I had about 10 minutes before I went out one evening so quickly cut out some 12" lengths of leatherette (left over from woggle-making with the Scouts), squirted a wiggly line of sealant over them and smoothed it over with my finger. A bit of sponge packaging from the back of a BattleMech blister pack was patted over the sealant to give it a rough texture, then I scraped tyre-ruts in with a wooden coffee-stirrer (end cut off to give a flat-bottomed rut rather than a curved one). Because I was in a rush I didn't take any photographs at the time but here are some very bad ones of the semi-completed trackways still in their raw sealant form.
|Old Crow Goanna scout car for scale|
|Detail of the sponged texture with wheel ruts.|
|Looks like someone swerved off here...|
I'll experiment with a bit of paint on these next week and take some better photographs.
Next task will be to buy a larger sheet of brown leatherette, probably 3x3 or 4x4 feet to make a roll-up gaming surface. Before I do that I'll probably practice applying a few different textures to the leatherette to see what works and what doesn't.
My thanks to Durham Wargames Club for giving me inspiration!