Sunday 21 October 2012

Skips

 I'm very pleased with these skips from The Scene.  A good price, arrived quickly, nicely cast in a good resin.  The rubble filled filled ones needed a bit of cleaning up, small bobbles of resin where tiny bubbles had been left when the moulds were made but I can't see how you'd make a mould from such a rough texture without them.  Although I cleaned them off it probably wouldn't have made much difference if I'd left them there, the bobble were so small.  There was also the occasional bubble in the resin but a dab of PVA and a sprinkle of sand soon cleared that up.

Small rubble and scrap metal
I particularly like the scrap metal skip.  There's all sorts in there, bits from a Sherman tank suspension, corrugated iron, cogs and other bits.

Medium and large rubble
I gave the skips a good scrub with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid before undercoating them with Vallejo primer.  Top colour is GW sunburst yellow with a Vallejo sepia wash.  Rust has been applied using Inscribe acrylic burnt umber with burnt sienna highlights followed by a rub with an HB pencil on the edges where the paint/rust has been worn away.

"Bloomin' kids!  Gerroutta them skips!"
They're a nice size, light weight, quick and simple to paint and are a useful addition to my collection of scatter scenery.  I bought the bargain bag of 7 skips which I think came to about £4.40 which I think is excellent value for money.  (The skip full of general waste seems to have become separated from its fellow rubbish receptacles so unfortunately it doesn't feature in today's article!)

3 comments:

  1. These are indeed cool, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I must get mine painted sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the indutrial yellow-ness of them, they look great. I may have to pick these up, I've got some neat ideas cooking, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete