Saturday 20 January 2024

15mm Adobe houses: part 3

 My practice building has a canopy made from some matchsticks and a bit of old fabric soaked in PVA.  A Star Wars Monopoly piece makes a satisfying greeble for the roof.

Canopy and roof detail.

The walls of the building were painted with PVA and sprinkled with tile grout, then I tapped the excess off onto some paper to pour back into the bag.  After letting it dry for a while, I applied a coat of watered down PVA.  On reflection, it's easier, faster, and less messy to just mix up some grout and PVA into a paste and put that directly onto the model, the effect seems almost as good.  Tile grout can be rather hazardous if you breathe it in, so mixing it directly with water or glue is probably preferable to sifting it onto the model through a tea strainer.  I did use a dust mask while I was working.

Note the matchstick canopy supports.

Lego tile and clothes peg greebles.

I glued a couple of the houses together and put them on a scrap piece of 5mm Foamex board.  I added a few bits of 3D printed wall and will find some more scatter pieces to complete the small complex.

Front view.

Side entrance.

3D printed walls for rear yard.

With the walls textured and various widgets and greebles added, the next stage will be to start painting.

2 comments: