Tuesday 31 October 2023

More car boot sale finds

 A return trip to the local car boot sale a couple of weeks ago yielded another excellent collection of bargains.  As always, all of these vehicles cost 50p or less each, so a total of only £5-6 for the lot from across the whole sale.



A couple more coaches (Majorette and Siku) added to the existing collection means I've probably got enough for any sort of modern/sci-fi urban combat environment, or as objectives or liability units for something like AK-47 Republic. The Siku one even has opening luggage doors, a feature missing from all my earlier acquisitions!


Another small tanker suitable for airfield refuelling is useful (presumably containing kerosine rather than Cadbury's caramel), as are a couple of generic trucks.  These will be good in any late 20th Century game, either as civilian vehicles or with mounted guns as technicals.



 A Matchbox personnel carrier ready for conversion to an AFCFA APC.  Here is an example of some of the conversion work in progress on another to give an idea of what the end result might be.


A submersible pod, handy as scenery for an underwater complex or dockside.  I have a couple of other different ones, and a variety of boats.



Buck Rogers starfighter with pop-out wings!  I have the large Corgi model but had only ever seen this smaller one in the catalogue I had as a lad.  I had to buy this!  It will be useful for Epic Scale or BattleTech scenery.  I can just see the little paddle steamer with an Epic Hydra AA turret and a couple of Imperial Guard crew, patrolling a stretch of river somewhere suitable grimdark.  It'll obviously need a grimy repaint for that purpose.


An ERTL toy Westland Wessex that looks close enough to be OK for AK-47 Republic or some of my Action Force games.  It needs some work on the rotors, wheels and a good repaint, but it was a great find. The Wessex was a development of the Sikorsky H-34 and saw action in the Falklands War.  It served from 1961-2003.


Some steel washers.  50mm, these 20 cost me only £1.  I'm thinking I'll either glue them under plastic bases to give a bit of extra weight, or maybe do away with the plastic entirely and just use the washers on their own.  Either way, they'll make my larger 15mm mecha and monstrous creatures that much more stable on the games table.

No comments:

Post a Comment